Friday, June 25, 2010

Trying to Find my Funny

So I have been thinking about starting a blog for a while, namely because whenever I see much stupider, less funny people with blogs I think – what the crap? How does that unfunny, bad speller have a blog –with readers- while I don’t (the answer generally comes down to laziness, of course –apparently all the brain power these people save by not trying to spell or be interesting converts into writing energy)?

The thing is that I am a little fearful that I have lost my funny. I used to be really funny – writing sketches and essays and short stories and articles and winning contests all over the place. Then I went to law school and the funny ended. Well mostly. I still wrote funny letters to boyfriends and people I was looking to Internet date (never both at the same time).  Before you judge and tell me that letters to people over Jdate should not count as writing, I will assure you that those letters constituted some of my best material and almost made up for the fact that I was wearing a padded bra while writing said letters. True story.

Then I got married and a job practicing Parliamentary law. Oh and I had a baby who I am currently staying home with. So now the full extent of my funny consists of Facebook status updates (some better than others), funny voices for the baby and the occasional angry e-mail to my sister, depending on who you ask.

Another reason I worry that I am losing my funny has to do with the fact that I am married to someone who is worse than not funny – someone who thinks he is funny, but is not. Correction - seniors (preferably Jewish) and nerds find him quite witty if not hilarious (not surprisingly, his father thinks that he is Jackie Mason)(the highest possible compliment that one can bestow upon a person in his eyes).  So while I don’t blame my husband completely (for this), I do feel myself pandering to him, making stupid puns and jokes meant for the geriatric set in hope of hearing a chuckle. And while I do enjoy making my husband laugh, a little part of me dies inside every time I hear him say “good one honey”.

So I have decided to start a blog. If nothing else, it is good practice – a good way for me to find my funny again. I need an audience other than my baby, who for all I know has his father’s sense of humour. 

3 comments:

  1. Wow, did this strike a cord with me or what? I used to be a funny person too but now that I think of it I have see it around anywhere lately. So I'm going to follow you to see if you pick yours up along the way, perhaps I'll find mine too!

    Oh, I also know what you mean about having a not so funny husband. I have one of those too. Although grandmotherly type people seem to find him somewhat hilarious, what's that all about?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dunno, I think you and Jacob have some pretty funny shtick together. Seriously, you guys should take your show on the road.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! I used to be funny too! Now I'm mostly tired and frazzled and in need of another half-cup of coffee to get me moving. Good luck with the blog, and I look forward to watching (reading about) your metamorphosis back to a hysterically funny person!

    ReplyDelete